The Sonoma State University Chemical Hygiene Plan (CHP) has been designed to fulfill the Cal/OSHA requirement regarding "Occupational Exposure to Hazardous Chemicals in Laboratories", California Code of Regulations (CCR), Title 8, General Industry Safety Orders, Section 5191. These regulations mandate that where hazardous chemicals are used in the workplace, the employer shall develop and carry out the provisions of a written CHP.
The Chemical Hygiene Plan applies to every laboratory or area workspace at Sonoma State University that uses hazardous chemicals. Employees should direct questions about the Chemical Hygiene Plan or the safe use of chemicals to their laboratory supervisor/principal investigator, and/or EHS.
This Chemical Hygiene Plan must be available to all laboratory workers prior to the commencement of laboratory duties. In addition to the Chemical Hygiene Plan, laboratory workers must be familiar with and adhere to all laboratory safety guidelines and procedures developed by their laboratory supervisor, EHS, and other University departments, and any federal, state, or municipal regulatory agencies.
CHP Forms & Templates:
- General Use SOPs by Hazard Class
- Hazardous Materials Emergency Information (PDF)
- Laboratory Use of Personal Protective Equipment at SSU (PDF)
- Project Hazard Analysis and Standard Operating Procedures
- Safety Information Card (doc)
- Student Safety Training (doc)
- Unattended Lab Experiment Sign Template (PDF)
- SSU Laboratory Clearance for Departing Researchers (doc)