The objective of the Electrical Safety Program is to prevent accidents that may cause injuries including (but not limited to) pinching, crushing, cuts, slices, burns, shocks, electrocution, or death that may be caused by unexpected energization or startup of machines or equipment, or the release of stored energy from machines and equipment when maintenance or servicing operations are taking place. Lockout/Tagout procedures are also required to protect employees from using machines or equipment that are unsafe and awaiting service or repair.
Guidance and information are provided by EHS to reduce and/or eliminate risks associated with the use of electrical energy on campus.
Electrical Safety Resources
- Energized Electrical Work Permit Form (doc)
- NFPA 70E Annex H (PDF)
- Electrical Work Pre-Job Checklist and Job Hazard Analysis (doc)
- Electrical Safety Poster (PDF)
- Code of Safe Practices: General Electrical Safety
Lockout / Tagout Resources
- Lockout/Tagout Program (PDF)
- Equipment-Specific LOTO Procedure Instructions (doc)
- LOTO Basics Handout (doc)
- Code of Safe Practices: Control of Hazardous Energy Lock Out/Tag Out